同步备课
Unit 11 Book three
长春 万晴蜓
1.Make sure that it is straight.(Lesson 41)确保它(木棍)是笔直的。
make sure意思是“确保;肯定”,常用于一般时态。例如:
Make sure you get there in time. 请确保准时到达那里。
I make sure that he will be here. 我肯定他会来这里的。
make sure还可以表示“弄清;查明”。例如:
Make sure where we are going. 要弄清我们在往哪里走。
That fellow rode up to the house to make sure whether Tristram was away. 那个人骑马走到房前去查明特里斯特拉姆是否已经走了。
2.Put the tree in the hole next to the stick so that it is straight. (Lesson 41)把树苗放进洞里紧靠木棍,以便它可以保持挺直。
so that意思是“以便;以致”,充当连词,表示目的或结果。例如:
Speak clearly, so that they may understand you. 说清楚些,以便他们能听懂你的话。
We keep regular records on all the experiments so that we may have enough data. 我们对所有的实验都作记录,以便得到足够的数据。
I stayed on so that he might not feel lonely. 我继续留了下来,以便他不会感到寂寞。
The bridge had been destroyed, so that they could not return. 桥坏了,以致他们无法回来。
My pencil fell under my desk, so that I couldn't see it. 我的铅笔掉在了书桌下面,以致我没能看到它。
3.Have you ever heard of the Great Green Wall? (Lesson 42)你听说过“绿色长城”吗?
hear of意思是“听说”,常用于一般时态。例如:
Almost every day we hear of the discovery of some new drugs. 我们几乎天天都会听说发现了新的药品。
We only heard of your intended visit yesterday. 我们昨天才听说您要来访的消息。
hear of还可以表示“知道;知晓”,常用于一般完成时态,另外常用否定形式。例如:
Have you ever heard of Shakespeare? 你知道莎士比亚吗?
I have never heard of anyone doing a thing like that! 我从来不知道有人竟干了那样一件事!
4.Forests help to keep water from running away, so drought does not often happen. (Lesson 42)森林可以防止水分的流失,因此旱灾就不会经常发生。
run away意思是“流失;流掉”。例如:
There's a hole in my bucket, and the
water is running away. 我的水桶上有个洞,水正往外流。
He ran the water away. 他把水放掉了。
run away还可以表示“跑掉;离开”。例如:
He was afraid and ran away. 他很害怕,就跑掉了。
Don't bother me while I am reading,
run away and play. 我在看书,你别来打扰我,快去玩吧。
5.In this way, floods are prevented. (Lesson 42)用这种方法,就可以防止洪水。
in this way意思是“这样;用这种方法”。例如:
In this way they finally tided over the difficulties. 这样,他们终于度过了许多难关。
In this way the Olympic Games contribute to international good will and understanding. 这样,奥林匹克运动为促进国际间的亲善与了解做出了贡献。
To solve the problem in this way is thought most convenient. 用这种方法解题被看作是最简便的。
6.In a few years' time, those mountains will be covered with trees, too! (Lesson 42)过几年,那些山峰也将被绿树覆盖。
in a few years' time意思是“过几年;几年后”,常用于将来时态。例如:
In a few years' time, little Jack will
grow up to be a handsome boy. 过几年,小杰克就会长成英俊少年。
In a few years' time, a food processing plant will be established here. 几年后,这里将建造一个食品加工厂。
7.He pointed to the high mountains far away.(Lesson 42)他指向远方高耸的群山。
point to意思是“指向……”。例如:
The teacher pointed to the circle on the blackboard and explained the terms “circumference”and “diameter”. 老师指着黑板上的圆,解释了“圆周”和“直径”这两个术语。
A compass needle always points to the north. 罗盘的指针总是指向北方。
point to还可以表示“说明;表明”。例如:
All the evidence points to his guilt. 一切证据都表明他有罪。
All the facts pointed to the same conclusion. 所有事实都说明了同样的结论。
8.But thanks to the Great Green Wall, the land produces more crops. (Lesson 42)不过多亏有“绿色长城”的保护,这片土地才种出了更多的庄稼。
thanks to意思是“由于;幸亏”。例如:
Thanks to your help, I was able to do it. 幸亏有你的帮助,我才能做成了这件事。
Thanks to your generous donation, we can rebuild our laboratory. 多亏你慷慨捐助,我们才重建了实验室。
Thanks to Jim's carelessness, we had a fire in our apartment. 由于吉姆的粗心大意,我们公寓失火了。
9.You should hand in your composition the day after tomorrow.(Lesson 43)你应该后天把作文交上来。
hand in意思是“交上;呈交”,常用一般时态。例如:
Hand this letter in to the office as you pass, will you? 你路过办公室时把这封信交进去,好吗?
Visitors to the camp must hand in any weapons at the main gate. 参观该营地的人必须在大门处交出武器。
10.More or less! (Lesson 44)多少有点!
more or less意思是“多少有点;或多或少”。例如:
Clouds are generally more or less electrified. 一般说来,云朵或多或少地都带有电。
Temperature affects the resistance of electrical conductors more or less. 温度或多或少地影响导体的电阻。
I am more or less tired after such a long trip. 经过这次长途旅行,我多少有些累了。
词义辨析
I.after,behind,at the back of
这三个词均有“在……后面”之意。
after和behind用来表示地点时,前者强调的是顺序的先后,而后者侧重方向和位置的前后关系。请比较:
The student sat after me.那个学生坐在我后面。(我坐在他前面。)
The student sat behind me.那学生坐在我背后。
after与behind用于指时间时,前者强调时间的先后顺序,而后者则着重于表示“落后……”或“迟于……”的意义。试比较:
Who ruled after Charles I?查理一世之后是谁统治的?
You are 30 minutes behind schedule.你比规定的时间迟了30分钟。
after多用于表示因时间上的先后而造成顺序的前后场合,behind则常用于仅指位置上的前后关系。请比较:
Please shut the door after you.请随手关门。
Please shut the door behind you.请关上你身后的门。
at the back of 这个前置词短语既可指具体的位置的先后,又可用于指抽象的概念。例如:
At the back of the building there is a grocery.这座楼的后面有一家杂货店。
Let's try and find out what's at the back of the problem.让我们没法弄清问题的背景是怎样的。
II. afterward(s),later
这两个副词均有“后来,以后”之意。
afterward(s)与later的不同之外有两点。
1.afterwards指一整段时间之后,一般不分具体时间连用,而later常指一个具体的时间点之后,例如:
That was his last book; he didn't write anything afterwards.那是他最后一本书,之后他再没写任何东西。
That was his first novel. Later he wrote another one that was much better.那是他的第一本小说,后来他又写了一本,比第一本好得多。
2.afterward(s)强调事物的先后顺序,而later侧重“迟、推迟。”例如:
They work first and go to the play afterwards.他们先干活,之后又去看戏。
They came later than I had expected.他们来得比我们所希望的迟了一点。 |